The holiday season is here! Ho, ho, holy cow what the heck happened to my waist???
Just like that, a couple holiday treats and a few gifted chocolates have a habit of adding up to a guilt-ridden New Year’s diet. Even apples, an icon of health, find themselves at the center of many dishes that can help facilitate a Santa-like figure.
Now, we’re not saying to stop making delicious apple pie, apple galette, or even these decadent apple fries with vanilla whipped cream… Yeah, we’re nowhere near strong enough to do that ourselves. BUT, what we are saying is that it’s well worth mixing in a few healthy(ish) apple desserts too; you won’t be alone in doing so!
Healthier foods, especially snacks, has been trending in a positive direction for some time now, and that includes better-for-you desserts.
With that in mind, we turn to the website of one of our absolute favorite initiatives, “Fruits & Veggies—More Matters®”, for some ideas for apple desserts to try out over the holidays and beyond. And, be sure to check out more produce-centric dishes in their recipes section and the rest of the site for plenty of great healthy eating resources:
- Banana-Apple Sherbet: A nice easy dish with ingredients you’re almost sure to have on hand!
- Baked Apple Fritters: If you love baking but want something other than pie, these fritters should do nicely
- Applesauce with Crunchy Topping: A few key ingredients help transform applesauce into a tasty, textured treat
- Baked Apples with Cranberries: Satisfy your sweet tooth and make the house really smell like Christmas with this combo!
- Pears ‘n Apple Crisp: Haven’t tried this one yet, but ap-pear-ently it’s pretty good (we’ll show ourselves out…)
- Apple Bread Pudding: Puts another of our favorite varieties (Goldens) to great use in a seasonal classic
From all of us at Okanagan Specialty Fruits, we hope your holidays are filled with great food, fun and family!