We love playing with recipes. Finding new ways to bring apples to the table is fun, whether it’s developing a recipe from scratch or modifying a favorite. Since one of the best ways to bring people together is with food, we gathered our team and got cooking.
With recipes, there are few ingredients other than apples that elicit a strong sentimental attachment. So many of us have memories wrapped up around pies and strudels. There’s something comforting about these desserts; maybe it’s because cooking and baking so easily gets us thinking of family and friends, or travel and exploration. The connection is strong between sights, sounds, and smells when it comes to memory retention. It’s been studied by researchers and written about academically.
What does this have to do with adapting recipes? Everything. Because when it comes time to play in the kitchen, we gravitate toward what makes us happy. And apple crisp makes us very happy. So we present to you: Arctic® Apple Crisp, with bonus ingredient Arctic ApBitz™ dried apples.
Arctic® Apple Crisp
- 4 medium-sized Arctic® Granny apples, sliced (approx. 4 cups of pre-sliced apples)
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ to 1 cup large, quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats (we like large oats for crispy chunks)
- 1 to 2 packages of Arctic ApBitz™ dried apples, broken into small pieces
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Ice cream, if desired (we recommend vanilla bean)
- Heat oven to 375F. Grease bottom and sides of an 8-inch square pan.
- Spread apples in pan and sprinkle with Arctic ApBitz™ dried apples. Combine remaining ingredients (except ice cream) in a medium bowl. When well mixed, spread over the apples.
- Bake about 30 minutes. Remove when topping is a golden brown and the apples are tender. Serve warm with ice cream.
This recipe is an adaptation inspired by classic crisp recipes and there’s a good chance you have something similar floating around your recipe book/drawer/folder. It’s a dessert staple, and probably one of the easiest for Arctic® apples fans to make their own. We’re already looking forward to trying this with Arctic® Fujis next.
Looking for more apple recipes? Check us out on Pinterest to find inspiration in some of our recipe collections. Have a great recipe that features apples? Take a photo and share it with us on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or Pinterest using the hashtag #arcticapples.
Our 2018 harvest is almost complete so fresh slices and whole apples will soon be at grocery stores in the U.S. Join our newsletter to hear all the juicy details.
Meanwhile, bon appetit.