As the temperatures gets chillier the desire for comfort food always seems to kick in. Nothing warms the soul more than a creamy bowl of soup after a day of being out in the crisp, cool air. Soups are a great way to incorporate some extra fruits and veggies into your diet, along with some unexpected but delicious flavors. This Cauliflower and Arctic® Granny Soup is so good you’ll find yourself starting to wish for cooler weather. Enjoy!
Cauliflower and Arctic® Granny Soup
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
- 3 Arctic® Granny apples, diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 medium head cauliflower, greens and stem removed and cut into florets
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 quart vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Aleppo pepper
- Chopped parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Add the apples and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Remove to a bowl. Add the remaining oil and the onion, garlic and ginger and cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add the curry and saffron and cook 1 minute longer. Add the cauliflower, half the apples, salt and broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until cauliflower is tender, about 12-15 minutes. Stir in the heavy cream and Aleppo pepper and simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender and blend in batches. If very thick, add additional broth or water. Taste for seasoning and serve topped with the remaining apples, a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of parsley and Aleppo pepper.