Halloween is right around the corner and with it comes the annual opportunity to scare ourselves silly for the sheer fun of it. Fright houses, ghoulish costumes, horror movie marathons – those fear-inspired shots of adrenaline, and the laughs of relief that follow them, are indeed addictive stuff.
Alas, in recent years one of our favorite icons of Halloween, Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein, has been co-opted to frighten consumers about biotechnology-enhanced foods. While the mental picture the term draws is effective theater, we encourage you to look further and learn the facts for yourself.
Arctic® apples are no Frankenfood. We simply employ biotechnology to address apples’ browning problem. Here are just a few of the reasons why we are so confident about the benefits and safety of Arctic® apples:
- Our founder knows apples, because he grows them himself.
- Browning is a real apple problem – both for consumers and producers. For consumers, browning keeps us from eating more apples.
- Arctic® apple trees and fruits, tested in the field since 2003, look and act just like other apples. They grow, blossom, fruit and react to pests and other orchard conditions just as conventional trees do.
- Arctic® apples have comparable composition and nutritional profiles to conventional apples. Their difference is evident only when Arctic® apples are bruised, bitten or cut – then they don’t brown.
- Arctic® apples don’t undergo enzymatic browning (oxidation) but they do experience secondary browning (rotting) just like any other apple. So, it actually makes it easier to tell if you really do have a bad apple!
- Our science team, among the best credentialed in the world, simply silenced the apples’ browning genes to create the nonbrowning Arctic® apple, so there are no new proteins present.
- Arctic® apples will be labeled at point of sale, so that you can easily identify them.
Our Arctic® apples website is specifically designed for transparency – no Halloween masks for us – to answer any and all questions you may have about Arctic® apples. If you have a question that we haven’t addressed, please let us know.
P.S. For your Halloween celebrations, here’s a great list of caramel apple recipes that we hope you enjoy!