With cooler weather upon us it’s easier to find excuses to stay in with a good book under a cozy blanket and more difficult to find motivation for keeping active. Whether it’s regular training or rediscovering a favorite activity, we need to properly fuel our bodies. This is where our dietitian friend Cara can help.
We partnered with Cara Harbstreet of Street Smart Nutrition to create a fun Arctic® apple recipe that can help fuel athletes before or after training. Healthy eating anytime is less about limiting or restricting intake and more about finding the right balance between nutrition required and energy burned. With that in mind, we give you: Loaded Arctic® Apple Nachos.
In her own words, Cara speaks to some basics of sports nutrition and why snacks like these are so important to athletes or anyone being regularly active.
“Regardless of your fitness or training goals, most of us aren’t going to perform our best or feel our best on an empty tank. But it’s a fine balance between eating enough to feel satiated and energized and feeling overly full and uncomfortable. The gastrointestinal (GI) system performs a lot of functions but can be overlooked during training. Just as we make an effort to train the heart, lungs, muscles, even the brain, we can “train” the GI tract. This can help minimize GI distress or discomfort during training or activity.”
You can read more about sports nutrition basics and healthy eating in Cara’s article.
Meanwhile, are you hungry? We are. Here’s our latest Arctic® apple recipe from Cara’s kitchen.
- 1 Arctic® Golden apple, sliced thin
- 1 ½ tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- 2 tbsp mini chocolate chips
- 1 to 2 tbsp unsweetened coconut, shredded or flaked
- 1 tbsp caramel sauce
- Spoon the peanut butter onto the center of your serving plate or bowl. Arrange the apple slices around the peanut butter in a circular pattern, repeating a second layer if needed.
- Sprinkle the walnuts, mini chocolate chips, and coconut over the top. Distribute evenly across the top of the apple slices.
- Drizzle with caramel syrup and serve immediately.