Want in on a fun secret about the region where Okanagan Specialty Fruits is located? The Okanagan Valley is actually Canada’s second largest wine producing area, featuring world-class wineries and jaw-dropping scenery. And, of course, nothing pairs better with wine than an amazing charcuterie board!
As a busy mom I’m all about anything that can be prepared as quickly as possible and charcuterie boards are definitely a favorite in our house. They’re delicious, easy and perfect for entertaining. I was beyond excited when I recently discovered a new twist to my classic platter. I realized I was out of crackers and was frantically digging around in the pantry looking for something I could use as a replacement. That’s when I pulled out some of our new Arctic ApBitz™ dried apple snacks and decided to try them on my charcuterie board. Their unexpected crunch was the perfect cracker substitute and their sweetness added a unique twist that I plan to make a permanent addition. Haven’t made a charcuterie board before? Here are a few of the basics:
- Invest in a food safe wood board. Your guests will be impressed by your authentic presentation or it will make you feel like you’re eating at a fancy winery, even if you’re just on the couch watching cartoons!
- Add a few varieties of meat. Prosciutto and salami are my kids favorites.
- It’s all about the cheese. Gournay, Brie and Gouda are the staples in our house.
- Of course, it wouldn’t be mom-approved if I didn’t sneak some fruit in there. Our Arctic® Golden apple slices are perfect to put out on platters because they won’t turn brown. And I already shared how our preservative free ApBitz™ dried apples are now a new mandatory addition.
- Get creative. The great thing about charcuterie boards is you can assemble them to your personal taste preferences and dietary requirements. Add a fresh baguette, pepper jelly, almonds, figs, or some dark chocolate. The sky’s the limit.
Oh, and don’t forget the wine. Enjoy!